Volunteer Deputy Voter Registrar
Volunteer Deputy Registrars help register eligible citizens to vote by distributing, reviewing, and accepting completed voter registration applications. They serve for two-year terms expiring on December 31 of even-numbered years.
In order to encourage voter registration, Texas election law provides for County Voter Registrars to designate individuals to assist in the registration of eligible persons to vote. These individuals are appointed as Volunteer Deputy Registrars and operate under State rules and the supervision of the County Voter Registrar.
To be eligible to serve as a Volunteer Deputy Voter Registrar, you MUST be:
- at least 18 years of age
- a citizen of the United States
- a resident of Texas
In addition to the rules above, a Volunteer Deputy Voter Registrar MUST NOT have been:
- determined by final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- finally convicted of a felony or, if a felon, fully discharged of sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, supervision, completed period of probation, or have been pardoned (Texas Election Code, §13.031(d)).
- A person is not considered to have been finally convicted of an offense if the person’s adjudication of guilt was deferred (H.B. 1226, 82nd Leg.).
- finally convicted of Fraudulent Use or Possession of Identifying Information (Texas Penal Code, § 32.51).
- finally convicted of a Class A misdemeanor relating to performance-based compensation for voter registration (Texas Election Code, §13.008).
In order to volunteer you must go through the online training listed below, take the exam, and visit County Clerk’s office.
Important Training Links
After you have completed the online training session, you take the examination. Bring a copy of the completed exam to the County Clerk’s Office, 900 7th Street, Room 250, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301, Phone: (940)766-8195. There you will be sworn in as a deputy and given your supplies. Next, go to our webpage wichitacountydemocrats.org, go to Voting tab, then click on Deputy. Fill out the form and submit.
You will be contacted by Democratic Headquarters to let you know when and where registration will take place.